Celery Root and Ginger Gold Apple Soup Amanda Freitag is executive chef at The Harrison in New York City. This fall she will grace the Food Network stage again and compete for the title of America’s Next Iron Chef. Nice
6 cups celery root, peeled and diced
2 cups ginger gold apples, peeled,
cored and quartered
1 medium Spanish onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1 ginger gold apple sliced for garnish
1/4 cup celery leaves or leaves from the celery root stem
8 cups water or vegetable stock
1. Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pot.
2. Add in the diced Spanish onions and season with kosher salt. Sweat the onions gaining no color.
3. Cook the onions until they are translucent and add in the celery root, potatoes and water.
4. Simmer over low to medium heat until the potatoes are soft
5. When the potatoes are soft add in the quartered apples and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Remove the soup from the heat and puree with a hand blender or a conventional blender.
7. Season the finished soup with salt and pepper to taste.
8. When serving, garnish the soup with apple slices and celery leaves.
|Celery Root and Ginger Gold Apple Soup|