16 small oil-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed
16 large salt-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed
¼ cup sherry vinegar
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 roasted piquillo peppers, seeded and
8 garlic cloves, minced
1½ teaspoons salt, divided use
1 large green bell pepper, preferably a thin-fleshed,
thin-skinned variety, seeded and cut into wide
16 baguette slices, lightly toasted
32 potato chips
6 tablespoons Lemon Parsley Vinaigrette
1. Place the oil-packed anchovies in one small bowl and the saltpacked anchovies in another small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar to each bowl, toss with the anchovies, cover with plastic, and refrigerate overnight.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the piquillo peppers and sauté, stirring often, until tender, about 2 minutes.
Push the piquillo peppers to the outer edge of the skillet, add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute, until the garlic is fragrant and just beginning to color. Stir in ½ teaspoon of salt, remove from the heat, and transfer to a bowl.
3. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green pepper and sauté, stirring often, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste and remove from the heat.
4. Top each baguette slice with one strip red and one strip green pepper. Drain and rinse the anchovies, then lay one fillet of the oil-packed anchovy and one fillet of the salt-packed anchovy over the peppers.
5. Decorate each tapa with two potato chips, drizzle with about a teaspoon of the vinaigrette, and serve. Adapted from a recipe by Patxi Bergara
|Anchovy and Pepper Bocadillos|