The Homemade Chocolate Chip Cupcakes - Kids of all ages are bound to adore white cupcakes studded with chocolate morsels. Whipped egg whites folded into the batter produce a light and airy crumb.
3¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
4½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
½ cup plus 6 tablespoons (1¾ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1¾ cups sugar
5 large egg whites, room temperature
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
Dark Chocolate Frosting:
Round candy sprinkles (nonpareils), for decorating (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together 3¼ cups cake flour, the baking powder, and salt. Stir the vanilla into the milk to combine.
2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter until smooth. Adding the sugar in a steady stream, beat until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk mixture, and beating until just combined after each.
3. In another bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form (do not overmix). Fold one-third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten. Gently fold in the remaining whites until just combined. Toss chocolate chips with remaining tablespoon cake flour, and gently fold into batter.
4. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean and the tops are springy to the touch, about 22 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
5. To finish, use a small offset spatula to spread cupcakes with frosting. Refrigerate up to 3 days in airtight containers; bring to room temperature and, if desired, decorate with sprinkles before serving.
|Homemade Chocolate Chip Cupcakes|