2 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, soft ened
23⁄4 cups cake meal
3⁄4 cup potato starch
1 cup chopped walnuts
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine 2 cups of the sugar and the margarine in a large bowl.
3. Beat with a mixer at medium- high speed until creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and beat until well blended.
4. Sift the cake meal and potato starch into the egg mixture. Beat until well blended. Fold in the walnuts and chocolatechips.
5. Shape the mixture into 3 loaves, about 3 × 6 inches each, on a wax paper–lined baking sheet.
6. Arrange the loaves about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. The dough will be sticky.
7. Combine the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl; mix well. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the loaves.
Notes and Tips:
Potato starch is gluten- free flour made from cooked, dried, and ground potatoes. It is available in health food stores. Cake meal is matzoh bread that has been ground to a fine powder. It is available in health food stores or in the baking section of major grocery stores.
|Passover Mandel Bread Recipe|