The Dark and Dangerous Cinnamon Buns Recipe our friends at the King Arthur Flour Co. were kind enough to let us pass on this wholesome whole wheat recipe to you.
1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups aLl-purpose fLour
1 package active dry yeast
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup butter
11/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat fLour
1/2 cup reguLar rolLed oats
1/2 cup dried potato flakes
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, softened
cup chopped pecans (optionaL)
Powdered Sugar Frosting
1. In a Large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the fLour and the yeast; set aside. In a smaLL saucepan, heat and stir water, honey, orange juice, 1/4 cup butter, and salt untiL mixture is warm (120°F to 130°F) and butter almost melts. Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat with an electric mixer on Low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden
spoon, stir in whoLe wheat flour, rolled oats, potato flakes, and dry milk powder. Stir in as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can with the spoon.
2. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead in enough remaining aD-purpose flour to make a moderateLy soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in LightLy greased bowl, turning once to grease surface; cover. Let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (11/2 hours).
3. Punch dough down. Turn out onto a LightLy floured surface; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 9x9x2-inch or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
4. For filling, stir together brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
5. Roll dough into a 16x12-inch rectangLe. Spread the softened butter over dough; sprinkLe fiLling evenLy over the dough. If desired, sprinkle with pecans. RoLl up rectangLe, starting from a [ong side. Pinch dough with moistened fingers to seal seam. Slice roll into 16 equal pieces. Arrange, cut sides down, in prepared pan (dough sLices wiLl fit snugly together in 9-inch pan). Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
6. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 35 minutes for 9-inch pan or 30 to 35 minutes for 13x9-inch pan or until Lightl.y browned. Remove from oven. CooL in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes; remove from pan. Spread with Powdered Sugar Frosting. Serve warm. Makes 16 buns.
Powdered Sugar Frosting:
In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1 tabLespoon milk, and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in an additional 1 tabLespoon miLk to make of spreading consistency. Makes about 1 cup.
|Dark and Dangerous Cinnamon Buns Recipe|