The Blueberry Peach Custard Kuchen frozen fruit works much better than fresh f ruit for this ¡ kuchen, which makes it an easy-to-accomplish winter treat.
2 1/4 cups alt-purpose fLour
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon saLt
1 cup sliced and peeLed fresh peaches or frozen unsweetened peach slices, thawed
1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed
1 egg, tightly beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vaniLLa
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon saLt
1/2 cup haLf-and-half or Light cream
1. Grease a 9-inch pie pLate; set aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
2. In a smalL saucepan, heat and stir milk, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt just until mixture is warm (120°F to 130°F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture and 2 eggs to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on Low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until smooth. Beat in as much of the remaining flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
3. Spread batter into prepared pie plate. Top with peach slices and blueberries. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
4. In a medium bowL, combine 1 egg, 2 tablespoons sugar, vaniLLa, nutmeg, and teaspoon salt. Whisk in half-and-haLf. Pour over fruit.
5. Place kuchen in a preheated 375° F oven over a baking sheet. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes or cool completely and chill. Makes 10 servings.
|Blueberry Peach Custard Kuchen Recipe|