Shepherds Pie Recipe is a especially filling and satisfying when served with a romaine lettuce salad with vinaigrette.
¼ pound fatty bacon, finely chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1¾ pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
3¼ tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet set over high heat, cook the bacon until crisp and remove to paper towels to drain.
2. Fry the beef in the bacon fat.
3. Add to the beef the garlic, shallots, onion, parsley, tomato paste, wine, and ½ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the
4. Simmer over low heat, partially covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. While the beef is simmering, boil the potatoes in water in a medium-sized saucepan with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt
until tender, about 2 minutes.
6. Drain the potatoes and mash, mixing in 2 tablespoons of the butter.
7. Season with the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and the
8. Season with the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and the nutmeg, if desired.
9. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Use ¼ tablespoon of the butter to coat the bottom and sides of a shallow 9 × 13-inch casserole
or baking dish.
10. Spread a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Place all of the meat mixture and bacon on top of the potato layer, and cover with the remaining potatoes.
11. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
12. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and the dish is hot throughout.
|Shepherds Pie Recipe|