Original Joe’s Sausage, Eggs, and Greens I dedicate the ambitious intent of this recipe to those who would love to eat and love to lose weight at the same time.
SERVES 6 OR MORE. Serving size: 1 cup.
2 pounds red or green Swiss chard
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ pound mushrooms, sliced
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups beef stock
6 large eggs
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Rinse the greens well. Cut the chard leaves into thin shreds; thinly slice the stems. You should have about 5 cups, lightly packed. Set the greens aside.
2. Place a wok or 12- to 14-inch skillet over high heat. Add the oil.
3. Crumble the sausage into the pan, stirring frequently until the meat is well browned, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the onions, garlic, mushrooms, nutmeg, pepper, and oregano. Stir often, until the onions are soft.
5. Add the beef stock. 6. Stir in the greens, a portion at a time, until all the greens are in the pan and just wilted, 10 minutes.
7. Beat the eggs lightly in a bowl. Add the eggs to the pan and stir over low heat just until softly set.
8. Season to taste with salt.
9. Transfer to a warm serving dish and sprinkle with the cheese.
|Original Joe’s Sausage, Eggs, and Greens|