21⁄2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 cup (1 stick) butter, soft ened
3⁄4 cup raisins
1⁄2 cup currants or candied fruit
1 cup sour milk
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Combine 21⁄2 cups of the flour, the sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
3. Cut in the softened butter until the mixture resembles fi ne crumbs.
4. Add the raisins and currants, mixing until the fruit is coated with the fl our mixture.
5. Add the sour milk and mix well.
6. Turn the mixture onto a floured board and knead, adding enough extra flour to make a slightly stiff dough.
7. Pat to about 3⁄4- inch thickness and cut with a 2- inch round cutter.
8. Place the scones on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly browned. Serve warm or cold.
Notes and Tips:
To sour milk, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup milk. Let stand for 15 minutes. For a sweeter scone, use Craisins instead of raisins or currants and sprinkle raw sugar on top.