• 125g Western Star Original Butter, chopped
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 1/3 cup golden syrup
• 1 egg
• 2 1/2 cups plain flour
• 1 tablespoon ground ginger
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 1 egg white
• 2 cups (approx.) pure icing sugar, sifted
1. Melt butter, sugar and golden syrup together in a saucepan, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly.
2. Whisk egg and butter mixture in a large bowl. Sift flour, spices and soda over the butter mixture and mix until combined into a smooth dough. Flatten into a disc shape, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes or until just firm.
3. Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/2 cm thickness. Cut into shapes using 10-12cm gingerbread people cutters and use a lifter to transfer onto lightly buttered baking trays. Bake at 180°C for 8-10 minutes or until cooked and lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes on trays before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Beat egg white until foamy then gradually beat in icing sugar until piping consistency. Spoon into a piping bag and use to decorate cooled gingerbread.
|Gingerbread People Recipe|