Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Serving Size: Makes 4 cups
• 1 kg chicken livers, rinsed in cold water and drained
• 40g butter
• 2 shallots, finely chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1/3 cup brandy
• 2 tablespoons green peppercorns, finely chopped
• 250g PHILADELPHIA Spreadable Cream Cheese
• Salt, to taste
• Whole green peppercorns, for garnish
• Melted ghee, for garnish
1. Remove and discard any sinew from the livers and pat dry with paper towel. Melt half the butter in a frypan and sauté half the livers until browned and slightly pink in the centre. Remove from the frypan and repeat with remaining butter and livers.
2. Add the shallots and nutmeg to the frypan and sauté until softened. Return the livers and any juices to the frypan. Add the brandy and carefully tilt the frypan to ignite the brandy. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Cool for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the cooked livers and shallots to a food processor and process until smooth. Add peppercorns and PHILADELPHIA and continue processing until pate is smooth.
Season to taste.
4. Spoon pate into serving dishes and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Cover pate with peppercorns and pour a layer of ghee over the surface to just cover the peppercorns. Refrigerate until required.