The Plum-Almond Kuchen Roll
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon saLt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup aLL-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter
2 CUpS chopped pitted fresh plums or 1 cup pitted dried pLums (see tip above)
1/4 teaspoon aLmond extract Butter Icing
2 tabLespoons sliced aLmonds, toasted (optional)
1. In a Large bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat and stir miLk, granuLated sugar, 1/3 cup butter, and saLt just until mixture is warm (120°F to 130°F) and butter almost meLts. Add milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a baLL. Place dough in a Lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place untiL double in size (1 to 11/2 hours).
3. Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and Let rest 10 minutes. Lightly grease a Large baking sheet; set aside. For filling, in a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar and 1/3 cup flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1h cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in plums and almond extract.
4. RoLleach dough half into a 14x8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle filLing over dough, leaving 1 inch unfiLled along one Long side. Roll up each rectangle, starting from the fiLled Long side. Pinch dough to seal seams and ends. Place rolLs on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place untiL nearLy doubLe in size (about 30 minutes).
5. Bake in a preheated 3750 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until Loaf is goLden and sounds hollow when lightLy tapped. Coot on a baking sheet on a wire rack for at Least 45 minutes. Spread Butter Icing over each Loaf. If desired, sprinkLe with aLmonds. Slice to serve. Makes 2 Loaves (12 servings each).
In a small bowL, combine 3 tabLespoons softened butter and 1 teaspoon vaniLla. GradualLy stir in 2 cups powdered sugar. Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons miLk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make of spreading consistency. Makes about 34 cup.
|Plum-Almond Kuchen Roll Recipe|