The Applesauce Spice Cupcakes - Applesauce in the batter makes these cupcakes incomparably moist. Pecans add a bit of texture, but they can be omitted. The cream-cheese frosting gets a twist with the addition of brown sugar.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
? teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed light-brown sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup pecans (about 4 ounces), toasted and chopped
Brown-Sugar Cream-Cheese Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and both sugars until pale and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add applesauce and then flour mixture, beating until just combined after each. Stir in pecans by hand.
4. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
5. To finish, use a small offset spatula to spread cupcakes with frosting. Frosted cupcakes can be refrigerated up to 3 days in airtight containers; bring to room temperature before serving.
|Applesauce Spice Cupcakes recipe|