The Glace topped fruit cake recipe - This recipe is very simple, but will let you up a simple rich fruit cake into something special. Why not try the variation to make 12 individual sized cakes and serve each guest with a miniature dessert.
Cake and decoration:
1 unbaked fruit cake mixture
750 (1 1/2 lb) mixed glace (candied) fruit, rougly chopped (try a mixture of apricots, pineapple, ginger and cherries 3tsp gelatine
18 x 25cm (7 x 10in) oval cake
1. Pie-heat the oven to 150C 300F/ gas mark 2. Line the base and side of the cake Lin (pan) with Iwo layers of brown paper and two layers of non-stickgreaseproof (parchment) paper rap three layers of newspaper around the outside of the tin. securing with string.
2. Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and smooth the surface with wet fingertips. Tap the tin several times to remove any air bubbles from the mixture. Place in the oven on top of for 3 hours, then arrange the glace (candied) fruit over the top. Bake for a further 3o minutes then cover loosely with creased foil or greaseproof paper to prevent the fruit burning Bake for another hour, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the fruit cake. prevent the fruit from burning. Bake for another hour, or until a skewer comes out clean when inderted into the centre of the fruit cake.
3. Put 2 tablespoons of boiling water in a bowl and sprikle with the gelatine. Leave for 1 minute until spongy. then stir briskly with a fork to dissolve. Brush the gelatine over the hot cake, cover the top with greaseproof paper and wrap in a tea (kitchen) towel. Allow to cool in the tin, then turn out and tie the ribbon around the cake.
Ahead of time:
This cake is perfect for making in advance wrapped tightly in clingfilm (plastic wrap), it can be stored in an airtight container for up to a year.
This recipe can also be made as small, individual cakes.
4. lightly grease a 12-hole 250ml (8floz/1 cup) muffin tin (pan) with melted butter or mild flavoured oil and fit a cirlce of greaseproof paper in the bottom of each hole.
5. Spoon in the cake mixture and smooth the surface with wet fingertips. Top with the glace fruit and bake for 1 1/2 hours. or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cakes. Remove from the oven and proceed as instructed for the large fruit.
|glace topped fruit cake|